Monday, March 15, 2010

Grateful for

:: This man, this girl, this sky
Though Saturday started out slow and cranky, it ended with a long shopping trip together and an unbelievable sunset. Whatever we do, doing it together is best.

:: Sister-in-laws
While it can be a trying relationship for some, I'm surrounded by honest and kind women. I'm so grateful for them, all 3 of them. Pictured here is Erica, my northernmost SIL, basking in the Florida sun while on a visit from Baltimore, Maryland a few weeks ago.

:: Green onions
When I say I love green onions, I'm talking about young love here. Even though I have been eating them off and on for years, I have to say my love for them has really just taken off in the last few weeks. What's not to love about this relative of the bulb onion...the more reserved, fresh-flavored cousin that doesn't bring tears upon cutting or eating raw?

Our favorite ways to consume them: 1. a breakfast or easy dinner consisting of a bowl of steaming grits, two eggs over easy, shredded sharp cheddar cheese, and a generous sprinkling of chopped green onions (whites and greens included), or 2. In a salad, strewn throughout so as to get a hint of fresh, mild onion flavor in every bite. Mmm.

:: My stay-at-home job
Where else could I work and be allowed to take a Monday morning field trip to the beach just so we can chase gulls and draw letters in the sand?

7 comments:

Megan said...

Hey! I'm grateful for you too!

kelly said...

I cried (hormonal) tears at this post!
just telling Ande yesterday how thankful I am for you, too.
and am soooo excited to try green onions in salad. maybe my husband won't refuse to be near me with milder onion breath??

Joc said...

Such a sweet life you have been blessed with, my friend.

Jenny said...

I'm grateful I can call you my sister! You are loved!

kate o. said...

kelly - you make me laugh. it cracks me up at what i cry at nowadays. in fact, i think there might be tears in my eyes right now because of your tears at this post...oh such weirdness ;)

alina - love that shot of your sister-in-law. don't you love living so close to the beach? i can't imagine living in a land-locked state.

Alina said...

Megan and Kelly...I'm so glad I live in the same state and can have more than a occasional phone relationship. :-)

Joc...I totally agree. Focusing on my blessings helps me fully appreciate all these good things. Visit soon? You are one of those good things. :-)

Jen...I miss you too. Karis talks about you and Jeffrey and how you are "married" almost daily.

Kate...Couldn't agree more about living near the beach. When we lived in St. Louis, I felt so completely out of place and, at times, dizzy. When you don't live near a huge body of water (the Mississippi River doesn't qualify), it's easy to feel totally disoriented.

Unknown said...

My dear friend,

I miss you beyond words. I love that your blog is here so I can read it in the few spare moments I find so that I can explore your world and love you even more deeply. You remain in my prayers, always!