Friday, February 19, 2010

In spite

She invited me into her "home" to sit at the table and chairs with her and dolly. I barely fit (blush) but dolly slid effortlessly into the high chair.

She gently caressed dolly and asked her in the sweetest voice if she'd like something to eat. Although dolly didn't reply (as far as I could tell), Karis read between the lines. She washed her hands and prepared a bottle.

I was in awe of her tenderness. At first I was tempted to take some credit, but if today's parenting were any indicator, Karis would have yelled at Dolly in the GAP "Do NOT take your shoes off", or in the parking lot "Hurry up", or in multiple public bathrooms "Don't TOUCH that."

In spite of myself she understands grace. In spite of myself I've been shown grace. I am humbled by that.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Sweet. I feel the same way!

kelly said...

Oh, the "don't touch that" in public bathrooms got me. Did I tell you Owen LICKED the bathroom sink in Sears last week???
"We don't lick sinks"...not a sentence I ever expected to say.
PS: Did I mention he has been sick for 4 days? Coincidence??

kate o. said...

oh, so sweet. the dollies and tea set make me even more excited for this little girl.

has there ever been a kid that walked into a restroom and didn't touch anything? i've instated the "hands go immediately in pockets" rule when we step into a public restroom. though my youngest has still gotten quite creative in ways he still manages to slide along/rub on things.

M.E. said...

Love, love, love your posts. I've probably said that before. Will probably say it again...