Monday, August 17, 2009

Today I learned

:: Pigtails are fun
While engaging my daughter in a discussion on how to use the potty and using the argument that "big girls go in the potty" (a perfectly acceptable form of manipulation in my book), Karis nodded her head and then inexplicably shook her head from side to side. She stopped, paused, and then did it again. Apparently, when wearing pigtails, it's a pleasant sensory experience to shake your head and have the soft ends of your hair whip across your cheeks. Pretty soon I was talking to a little two-year-old who was vigorously shaking her head and giggling.

:: Potty announcements make me blush
Despite the headshaking, she heard my speech. A little while later, while in the adult section of the library, with all computers full of quiet adults and a thick silence hanging in the air, Karis gleefully announced, "I'm a big girl. I need to pee pee in potty." A weird mixture of pride and embarrassment came over me.

6 comments:

linda said...

Have I told you that I come here often..to your blog, to hear you? I miss you. I love that you were embarrassed & proud! I'll bet you woulda shaken your head side to side & up & down if you had been wearing pigtails.

kelly said...

Love her dress. A Megan original?

Jenny said...

I would love to go on a library trip with you girls and hear Karis' big girl talk. So cute!

a girl said...

yeah karis!!! and someday the embarrassment wears off :) Karis is adorable and it kills me to not see her in person! miss you

Michelle Acton said...

Cate has taken to announcing "I tooted" each and every time she has a gaseous experience. I have a potty trick I can share when we talk (ha! does that make you want to call me? :)) Love those sweet pictures of Karis. Miss you.

Anonymous said...

Lovely dress for a beautiful girl, white is her color. Now, why was she in possession of tylenol pills and a penny?
mom