Thursday, April 24, 2008

29 candles

A few weeks ago I turned 29, or as I see it, VERY close to 30. I can't lie. I feel old. Sorry to you readers who are over the age of 29. Rest assured, I don't think of you as old. No, certainly not. You are young, full of life, and gracefully aging. But me? I just feel old. After all, 29 is just one year/12 months/365 days away from the big 30. For some reason this milestone has been especially hard for me. Perhaps it is coupled with the ever growing presence of prematurely graying hairs on my head and the constant lack of energy. But really I think it is the realization that at my age, my mom was already a mother of 4 kids, my mother-in-law had all 3 of hers, and Matt's biological grandmother had already birthed 8! That last one is a little unusual, I know. But still, my point is...29 is adult. Make no mistake, I am an adult. And I am almost 30. (sigh)

Other than a minor mid-life crisis, my birthday was spent sitting in the lap of luxury, thanks to the love of my husband, family, and friends. After a delicious birthday dinner of steak and crab legs with Matt and his parents, I was led on an exciting scavenger hunt complete with riddles, clues, hunting through rooms, a decoy present, and a treasure at the end. I learned that I am not too old for a treasure hunt! Oh, and the treasure....you ask? It is the fabulous new love of my life...a Nikon D40 camera. Thanks to Matt and his orchestrating a fabulous gift courtesy of family and friends, I have moved up in the camera world. I love it, and I am so wildly grateful. Now the pressure is on to do the reading about the camera and general photography that I have been meaning to do for some time. I hope to bring you many new photo creations from Mr. Nikon in future blog posts to come. All complaints aside about my age, I am so blessed to have another year of life!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful time we had celebrating the day before your birthday!!!! Seeing your treasure hunt and figure out clues was fun.
Matt really should consider writing children"s books. ( The clues were so Suess like). I suspect the second treasure came the next day when Bruce worked 24 hours at the fire station and my Mom and I went out of town for 4 days. The 3 of you had time together to do whatever you wanted to do--a complete day of freedom. Thanks
for letting us share in it. You are loved and not "old. Mama K

kelly said...

SO excited for you and your camera! I am sure it will be put to good use. Can't wait to see more Karis pics!

Good to see you yesterday. Thanks for making the journey. Love you.

dkt said...

oooooh I'm experiencing camera envy...I've had my eye on that camera for a while now! :-) Maybe one day! So excited for you!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! May God give you many years as an older wiser woman! :-)

Love,
dianna

Bekah said...

Alina-

do you have a flickr? mine is flickr.com/flipflopgirl

=D

Unknown said...

hey! i have that same camera. i got it for christmas but haven't really had a chance to read about it. i've just kept it on automatic. lazy, i know. i really want to start using the manual settings but when there is any down time i'd rather read blogs or sleep.

happy birthday!

heather

p.s. 30 is not that bad. :) i've been there for 4 months and i'm loving it! )

abigail said...

I went through similar feelings when I turned 29 but I can tell that 30 is such a fresh, freeing age. I'm loving it. Happy Bday!

Unknown said...

Don't worry, love...Michelle and I will be 30 this Fall, we'll let you know how it goes. I am so glad you had a great birthday. You are in my prayers, always and forever!