Friday, July 25, 2008

Blessed by Jessica

I had the privilege of attending Jessica's funeral last week. I wrote these words to friend today, and they sum up the experience:

"It was so good to go the funeral. I had Karis with me so I was exhausted in watching her and caring for her alone on the trip, but I am so glad that I pushed through and attended all the events. It was because of the Lord that I was able to go. Money was provided for the trip COMPLETELY, and I even came home with a little to spare in my pocket. I hadn't even been considering going because of the money factor, but the Lord paved the way. I am so glad He did because I feel some closure after having seen her body and participating in the events with people who knew her at so many different stages in her life. Kristina, her friend who helped care for her even up to the moment that she took her last breath, told us about Jessica's last few hours and that last breath she took. It was super hard to hear, and I had trouble sleeping that night, but it was also good for me. I felt the Lord's presence during this whole trip. He showed me that our bodies are a shell containing life and our spirit...both of which He gives and takes away at his bidding. Looking at her body I knew her shell was the only thing in that coffin. She is with Jesus. I also learned through all the testimonies and Jessica's video that all of life is about Christ. ALL of it! I forget this instantly. The slightest thing distracts me from this truth. The Lord loved Jess, and she loved Him because of it. To see that blessed me!"

The video I mention above is one that Jessica made a few months before her death. She wanted to make it to be shown at her funeral. It was really poignant and also wonderful to watch it and cry at a table full of friends. I was so glad to laugh at her sense of humor, even as she was already gone. (That girl was FUNNY!) I encourage you to watch the video and to share it with others. It is long (16 minutes), and it is emotional. But it is totally worth it. Praise the Lord for Jess's life and her testimony. You can watch the video by clicking here or type in the address http://chriswinesette.com/2008/07/22/leaving-a-legacy/.

2 comments:

kelly said...

what a wonderful gift the video must have been to her family and friends. So many things she said are things I want to leave behind, too...but I have a long way to go. Thankfully, Jesus is walking me there step by step.

Nice to hear Jessica's laugh.

Unknown said...

What a blessing. I am so glad that God used this to speak to those who attended. You are in my prayers.