Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Big ONE

On Saturday we celebrated Karis first year of life. The food was carefully prepared. The table lovingly set. The birthday girl festively dressed. The balloons hung boldly in the corner. This was her birthday party. Karis was turning one! And yet I told Matt that I felt as if this really was more of a party for us, her parents. It felt like our celebration of making it through this first year. It was our time to say "Thank you, Jesus" for loving us so much to give us this beautiful child and giving us the strength and sanity to make it through the newness, uncertainty, and sleeplessness that is infancy. So, yeah, Karis partied. (Crazy little thing knows how to shake it and dance!) And so did the relatives (minus the dancing). But most importantly, we rejoiced!

The birthday girl loved the balloons...they were quite the highlight of the party.


We had a cupcake theme going for her party. Cupcakes seem to be all the rage right now in the culinary/pastry world. I am no less captivated than all the other cupcake enthusiasts out there. A cupcake is, afterall, a single serving of cake without the guilt of cutting into an entire cake for just one slice. That is genius, in my book! Karis' aunt made her cute outfit. I had fun making her "cupcake" invitations with some beautiful, graphic paper. And I even tried my hand at making some actual cupcakes. I made the chocolate sour cream cupcake batter from here and the easy vanilla bean buttercream from here, one of my favorite recipe sources. Both recipes were delicious and worked so well together...I highly recommend them. It was a super fun project to work on, and I was glad they turned out.


On the actual day of her birthday we took her to the park for the first time. What an introduction that was!! She loved the plastic playground and crawled through the giant tubes and slid down the slide on her Dad's lap. The swing, on the other hand, was not love at first introduction. The expression on her face tells just how unsure she was. By the end of the park visit, though, even the swings had won her over.


Last, I thought I'd share a video with you of our family music party on her birthday. Dad is musically inclined and loves to sing and play music for Karis. Karis seems to be taking a natural liking to these "music classes." As you can see at the beginning of the video, Karis plays a mean drumstick....on her head.

8 comments:

Kristine said...

*..**.feliz cumpleaƱos, karis!**.**

you have mad percussion skillz, baby girl. i'm expecting a full length LP by your second birthday.

i will eat a cupcake tonight, too, to celebrate!

love,
*kristine

dkt said...

Jimmy was very impressed with the birthday band too and wanted to say "happy birthday!" to Karis!!

I love celebrating birthdays here too, because it's a celebration of LIFE! God is so awesome!

T and B Rowe said...

i love the karis cupcake t-shirt - very cute! yea for birthdays and the dad & daughter band. :)

i hope your summer is going well.

kelly said...

love it! you gotta appreciate a musician who is not afraid to use her noggin for a drum. the cupcake shirt is adorable!

Bekah said...

Congratulations!!!! Such a bummer that we all over here couldn't share it with you... and if I would've realized, I would've sent a card!

The video actually made me cry - a combination of being extremely tired and realizing I still miss you guys... *sigh*

diber said...

"And yet I told Matt that I felt as if this really was more of a party for us, her parents. It felt like our celebration of making it through this first year. "

LOL. That's exactly how I felt on E's first birthday!!! HA!

Congratulations!

And happy birthday, Karis! My, she is a cutie :)

Unknown said...

Hurray for birthdays! So glad she had such fun.

Once that love of the park is developed, you will virtually live at parks. The second baby will be sliding and swinging at 3 months!

Loved the video. The A-team danced around to it. Abigail wanted to know when she could meet "cute baby Karis".

Might be Florida-bound for a short visit to my great-grandmother. I'll let you know if it happens.

Love and prayers!

Anonymous said...

Alina! I was happy to find your site through Bethany Rowe's, but so incredibly sad to hear about Jessica's passing. We will be in prayer for her family.

I enjoyed perusing your blog and it is obvious that you guys are doing well. your little one is adorable! Congratulations on one year!

Also, you seem interested in photography, so you may enjoy checking out my husband's site at www.richsmithphotography.com. Blessings to you!