Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Matlacha Island

Two weeks ago we visited my parents down in south Florida. We visited Matlacha, a beautiful little fishing village about 20 minutes away from my parents' house. I love visiting this island because while it is so close to my parents, it feels like you have been transported to a completely different place. The clock seems to slow down as you drive over the bridge and enter "island time". Quaint little shops splashed with vivid colors. Shell driveways. Fisherman perched on the many bridges hoping to bring home a fresh catch for dinner. We toured a few galleries to view the work of the many local artists. When it came time for lunch we stopped in at a local fresh seafood market and ordered the absolute best lunch--oyster, shrimp, and scallop po-boy sandwiches. I had these native New Orleans' sandwiches all the time when we lived in the Big Easy...but these were amazing! The outing was a feast for my camera. I couldn't resist but snap some shots of the colorful island shops and scenery. Enjoy!

A typical Matlacha shop.


My beautiful sister thinking deep thoughts at breakfast.

Mom introducing Karis to the north coast of Pine Island.

2 comments:

kelly said...

Beautiful pictures, and beautiful daughter. Looks more like the Bahamas than Florida.

Brian & Mary Hand said...

Gorgeous pictures! Precious times with your mom and sister too! When is Jenny's wedding? Oh, what I would give for some warm weather . . . or any island really. It's freezing here -- this morning with tons of ice and rain.

Blessings on your house search.

Love,
Mary