Saturday, October 20, 2007

Learning to Praise

Life has been pretty busy, filled with lots of activity and decisions, and the processing of those decisions. I will write more about those decisions and their transitions soon. I have found myself both exhausted and excited all at the same time. As life brings transitions and changes I usually revert to my cowardly stance of despair and depression. Recently I have been been challenged by the Holy Spirit to cling more dearly to His side as I take this wild ride of life. No matter my circumstances in life I must praise the Lord. Reading through the bible I am amazed at how much we are told to praise God. Praise should always be on my lips regardless of my life circumstances. Sometimes I think about the old hymn that reads "Oh for a thousand tongues to sing my great Redeemer's praise..." 1,000 tongues just to sing praises to God?! I seriously struggle to make this one ragged, sinful, and hateful tongue praise God. I am embarrassed to admit it but sometimes I wonder, "Why so much praising?" My prayer this week has been that God would enable me to praise Him...to really understand the enormity of God's glory, leaving me astounded with nothing else to do but say, "I praise you!"

On to the updates....we had our dear friends from New Orleans visit. What a reunion! So much fun as we gave them the Central Coast tour. The kids have grown so much since we last saw them but they are still as precious as we remember them. They were a big help to me during their stay here, keeping Karis company and loving on her as I got ready for church. I guess it is true what parents of multiple children say...when you have more than one child it is easier because the kids will entertain each other. Here are some of the shots of our time with them. (Check out the our friend's daughter's face in the second shot! She totally knows how to flirt with the camera!)


We didn't want our visit with our friends to end so we did what anybody in our position would do... followed them back to their hotel where they were staying in Palm Springs. Perhaps a little stalkerish, but they were ok with it (at least they said they were!) It gave us a chance to check out some different parts of California we haven't seen including the Joshua Tree National Forest. For all of you U2 fans you will remember their Joshua Tree album. A Joshua tree is this cool looking tree (picture to the right) which lives in the desert of California. We traveled through the forest (for you East coasters read desert instead of forest) which is a protected state park. We saw some incredible sites. Here are just some of the cool views we saw from our car as we drove through. Enjoy and have a great weekend!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this post!!! I love how ya'll keep in touch with people that have nested in your hearts. And I know that endears you to them and them to ya'll. I remember how special this couple and their children were to ya'll when you lived in the New Orleans area and how they came (and about 15 others) in a van to the Fort Myers area for your wedding. (ALL THE WAY from New Orleans to Fort Myers). Now that's true friendship. (Even the stalking bit):0)Just kidding!!! I guess what I want to point out is that really important friendships continue--no matter the distance. Karis looks so much older in her picture. I wish I could have seen how she interacted with the other kids myself. Matt said last night on the phone that she looks around for him when she hears his voice. How sweet...Praying for ya'll and the decisions you are making. Thanks for the reminder to ALWAYS have the Lord's praise on my lips and in my mouth--no matter what. It's a life lesson. I love your precious family. Mama K

april said...

lean meat, yeah...i debated about using that 'pregnant' phrase...but i was tired and that was the word stuck in my head. lay off. :)
you should come pumpkin carving tonight. it'll be really fun. Karis would like it too :)

Unknown said...

Alina, you truly make me feel inadequate. You are such an amazing woman. You are a great wife and mom, you love your work, you are a great homekeeper and decorater, you can cook like a chef, your photography is GORGEOUS, you yourself are a hottie...I marvel at you. You just amaze me and I am so humbly thankful that the good Lord blessed me to know you. I pray that you will find yourself in the right heart to praise God for how incredible He is. All my love.

Unknown said...

OH, and one more kid is four times as much work. Trust me. = )

Alina said...

Jamie,
Wow... thanks for the vote of confidence. I certainly won't turn down a compliment, but I also feel like I have to admit how easy it is to project an image through blogging. You know...only say and show the things I want people to see. There's plenty of dirt and brokenness in this heart and home...just not always easy to write about or show. I admire your honesty in your blog.

Unknown said...

Brokenness and dirt I can identify with. You are always welcome to spill it to me, with no worries of judgment or of it going further. Isn't that what friends are for? You are always prayed for in the meanwhile, though...blog view or not!