Saturday, July 14, 2007

A whole new world!

I think this picture just about sums up the last week in our house. We have been in love with our new daughter, exhausted, sleepless, uncertain about all the newness of a baby and parenting, and sure that although this is hard, we wouldn't have it any other way. I would say parenting 101 has hit us hard and we are in survival mode at this point. But as we figure out all the newness and uncertainty, we find ourselves loving each other and our daughter more and more as each day passes while also feeling (really FEELING) our need for Jesus in such a tangible way.

My parents arrived at our house on Thursday and we could not be more relieved to have the help and support. They have helped support these two ragged people through making meals, cleaning a dirty house, and loving a neglected dog. We are so glad to have them here and they of course are loving meeting their newest granddaughter.

Speaking of dog, I must say that Keller has taken quite well to the newest member of the family. She is very gentle around her and remains curious about who she is and all of her smells. We are thankful that this transition has gone well for her and for us. In all the loss of sleep I have found myself losing some of my sanity. Last night Matt and I were talking in bed and he asked me how I was doing. I said I was tired and then just two seconds later I said out loud, "German haired-pointer" (which is the breed of our dog). Matt looked at me weird and then I realized I had just said it out loud and I laughed. Apparently I was so tired that I slipped off to sleep and into a dream in about 2 seconds flat after having a coherent conversation with Matt. We both laughed and reminded ourselves that this too shall pass and we must enjoy it while it is here, no matter how hard it feels. I promise I will try to get some pictures of Karis and me...I tend to be the one with the camera. Hope you guys have a great weekend!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alina-


I think your daughter is so beautiful...with all that dark, silky hair. Congratulations, my friend! Sorry I have not been around to post. I am interneting less frequently than I used to...just because of life busyness. I am so thankful for a safe delivery, as I was praying and praying for each morning. Be blessed. And post your number, where I can record it and call you. Please????!!!

Love you!

kelly said...

I love it! Funny about the GSP. :)
Nice to see my brother be a daddy.

Anonymous said...

The three of us are already in love with your baby just from looking at her pictures. We get "warm fuzzies" from our computer screen these days - really strange. We can't wait to meet her! We're praying for you guys.
Love,
Megan

Anonymous said...

Dearest Family, I have to say--two of my favorite pictures are the one of you and Karis in the hospital room and your eyes are closed with her in the bed with you and then this one of Matt and Karis with both their eyes closed....Thank you for taking the energy and time to take and post pictures.... She is SO beautiful!!!It makes the world seem a little closer to be able to see my grand daughter up close and personal. You are so smart to take the opportunity that having your parents there makes. Hope you 3 are able to catch up on the proper sleep. LOve to all---Mama K

Anonymous said...

Yay! Mom let me hear her cry over the phone tonight while you were out to dinner. What a strong cry! I can tell she is growing and changing already. Can't wait to see more of you with her. Enjoy having mom and dad there. They couldn't be prouder grandparents, nor I a prouder Auntie. Love to everyone!

Lance and Heather said...

Sounds like you guys are doing well and hanging in there....isn't it amazing how you can "function" on so little sleep?. Like everyone says, it does get better. Caleb sat in his crib until 9:00 this morning just "reading" and looking through his books. Try to enjoy this trying but very special time! love ya, Heather

abigail said...

I'm so very happy for you guys! Love to you three...