Saturday, April 07, 2007

Oh how I love you...sushi!

In many ways Matt and I are opposites. He is a meat and potato man; I love more delicate flavors. He is an all-you-can-eat buffet man; I love to sit down and enjoy the ambiance of a restaurant where the meal is prepared specifically for me. He is a comedy central man, and I love a good foreign film. Ahhh, but there is something so wonderful and delicious that brings us together: our love for those tiny bundles of joy called sushi. Tonight we pulled out the rolling mat, wasabi, sticky rice, all the other trimmings and created a sushi feast for two. Who cares if we ended up eating it on t.v. trays while watching Matt's favorite show on Comedy Central...we shared a sushi meal! It was awesome. We've found out that this meal which is usually crazy expensive at local sushi restaurants can be made at home for a fraction of the cost. Check out Alton Brown's sushi episode on Food Network. Special thanks to my mother-in-law for sending us the Japanese dishes for my birthday...it provided the much needed ambiance (despite the aforementioned t.v. trays!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Sounds like a really good idea. I never thought to buy the ingredients, but I guess it's really simple once you've got a good recipe. Love the plates, Mama K knows your taste well Alina. Miss you both! Happy Easter!

Jen

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't have known that your sushi was not from the most expensive restaurant in your area from the very artistic picture you took. Can't wait for Kelly to get the bowls to you on Tues. I'm so glad you like them. Maybe something to pass down to Karis in the future with the comments about your days when you lived in Calif. If it sounds like I would like you living closer, you're right. Glad you like them. Love always, Mama K

Lexy Sykes said...

Awesome! We love sushi also, but have always been afraid to attempt it on our own, yours looks so good I might give a try! Happy Easter!!

Lexy

M.E. said...

It's been awhile since I checked in on your blog. Made me realize how much I missed you. Thanks for all you've shared over the last weeks (pink laundry, stories of Karis, etc.). I love you, Alina!

abigail said...

mmm sushi.....i LOVE sushi. You don't find much of that over here in northeast England. I'd love your recipe! (hint, hint)