Friday, March 09, 2007

Down for the Count

Well, the last two weeks have been nothing short of exhausting. Last Tuesday I came down with the cold virus that is going around. I was out all last week from work and missed some work this week. I am still fighting it off as my body's immune system is weakened by the fact I am creating a life inside of me. Pregnant women are more susceptible to illnesses, and I have certainly seen my fair share of illness this pregnancy (the flu, strep throat, and the cold virus). But little Karis is still kicking along letting me know that mom's illness is not going to get the best of her. The weeks have been trying in other ways too. I would ask that you guys keep us in your prayers as we have been battling some personal (not bloggable at this time) stuff this week. God is seeing us through it and providing healing, but as is the case with all trials, the painful parts are never fun to walk through.

Yesterday, Matt took these pictures of me outside of our back door. I wore this shirt to work today which I bought the other day even though it screams "Hey, I am pregnant!" Normally, I look very small for my six month pregnant state. But yesterday, I decided to be bold and flaunt my belly. It was funny because the kids I counsel at school were really coming out with their observations and questions. One student told me her friends were all saying things about me. At first I thought, "Sweet, I am making the elementary gossip column." She then went to ask if I was pregnant. Another student told me he already knew I was pregnant and that I should know that the proper way to treat a hungry baby is to put a pacifier in the baby's mouth. I am getting mothering advice from a second grader! My favorite comment of the day was from a student who looked at me and said, "Your stomach is growing!" I commented, "I wonder what that means?" He just looked at me, grinned really wide and said, "Mine is growing too." Ahh, you can't make that stuff up!

I am off to a retreat with the ladies from my church this weekend. I am hoping the weekend will provide some much needed encouragement and nourishment. Have a great weekend all.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew in my heart that something was up this week. All 3 of you have really been weighing on my mind. I am praying that no root of bitterness or strife will take hold....And I have no idea what has been going on because I haven't spoken to either one of you. I pray you will be able to relax and be comforted in the arms of God this weekend. You look beautiful in the pictures. Please know that you are loved. Mama K

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful! You, Matt and Karis are in my prayers. Enjoy your weekend!

Jen

Anonymous said...

Alina,
I was looking at your preg. pics.-- You look radiant. How can anyone doubt that timing was perfect? He allowed you to allow His blessing into your life with all the divine providence and your trust in Him. Gazing at ther beauty of you in your high school set of pics. on display in my entertainment center made me think that your daughter will be even more radiant than you, just as YOU are so more than me. She has two very talented, wonderful, and giving parents--
Expect the wonders of His creation.
Don't doubt that for a moment
Your devoted mom,
nilba

kelly said...

Alina, you are STUNNING!!! Thanks for positng the pictures. I would love to see that pregnant belly in person. Really missing you and Matt...I am trying to think of creative ways to get a plane ticket!!!
I was thinking yesterday of how much I love you all, and God reminded me that Jesus loves you even more. Praying for you three.

Anonymous said...

Hey! How do you like calling your self "Mom"? It's so cool! I loved seeing the preg pics of you - you look absolutely precious. Flaunt that fantabulous baby bump! ~Meg

Anonymous said...

Hey Alina,
You look really nice. I was waiting for you to post your pregnant pics...
And I love the vast expanse of land in your back yard. Maybe it all IS your backyard! Impossible to come by in Nairobi (Kenya).
Elsie.

Anonymous said...

After reading your this blog, I thought your blog is great! i like it .thank you!