Monday, February 12, 2007

Ultrasound's Eve

The last few weeks have been busy with the normal goings of our family: lots of work, juggling home life and work/ministry life, a belly (and whole body) growing weekly, and mounting excitement for tomorrow's doctor appointment. I look forward to each doctor's visit with bated breath for a whole month. On the day of my appointments I can hardly concentrate at work because I am just so excited to talk about my pregnancy with my doctor and have her validate/calm any questions or fears. When I mention to Matt my excitement, he is surprised. To him it is just an appointment. Now, don't get the wrong impression...Matt is excited and is being changed by the idea of becoming a father soon. But it is different for each of us. For me I am pregnant and reminded of it on a moment by moment basis because the baby is growing IN me. I have read that it is obviously harder for husbands to grasp the full reality of the pregnancy until the baby comes out the chute. How many times do you hear about the man feeling faint at the first sight of the baby as the weight and reality of the baby finally hits him. For the woman, she has lived with the physical reality for 3/4 of a year. All that being said, tomorrow is an extra special doctor's appointment. Thanks to the amazing advances in technology we will meet out baby via 3-d ultrasound, and hopefully (if the conditions are right) find out if I am carrying Asher or Karis. Soooo exciting!

I am beginning to really show. I'll post another picture here soon. For a couple of weeks now I have been turning other adults heads at work as they do a double take at my tummy but politely refrain from asking and satisfying their curiosity. But today was the first time that the kids I counsel started doing double and triple takes. It's funny because even they are culturally trained that it is impolite to ask (and thank goodness...how embarrassing it is to be asked when you are in fact not pregnant!) One such student today kept peeking glances and then quickly looking away. I smiled and said, "Would you like to ask me something?" She looks at me and cautiously asks, "Are you pregnant?" Very funny and cute.

Well, I have cooked one of my favorite Cuban dishes tonight and the smells drifting in my office tell me it is done. I know I am not the most frequent of bloggers, but rest assured you all can expect a post again very soon!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for today's appt. I hope it's an Ashar!! Funny analogy of how babies come "down the chute". love ya.

Jenny

kelly said...

I CANNOT WAIT TO HEAR THE NEWS!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Alina and Matt,
I AM SOOOOOOOO excited for ya'll and us. Yea, Alina---I know she'll be a beauty just like you! I pray she will have your wisdom and understanding and Matt, I pray Karis will have your sense of humor and she will be to you what you were to me as a firstborn child. I had to work full time for 3 years,(4 1/2 days a week) but on that 1/2 Friday, I would call and tell them not to put you down for a nap, that I would be there to pick you up early. It was the best day of the week for me and I wanted to spend every free moment I could with you. You all are loved!Mama K

Mary H said...

I can't wait to hear!!!! How did it go yesterday?!! I like both names you have picked out.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for calling me yesterday - it was fun to "talk baby girls". Evie can't wait to meet her precious new cousin, I gave her a little talk about not being "the older bossy cousin" - as girls sometimes are:) Love you! - Meg