Thursday, October 12, 2006

Waffle House part duex

Sunday we had our second installment of the waffle house tradition. The batter was more easily prepared, table set in advance, waffle iron put out fewer waffle gems. All in all, this edition of the waffle house was smoother. We thought through ways to make it more convenient so that we wouldnt become burnt out so easily on this feast. It was a lot of fun and it seems to be a hit among people, even if it is carb-overload.

Things have been going well here at the homestead. Matt is hard at work starting his computer business, on top of the work her does for the church. It is a busy time of life for him, and quite honestly it probably wont slow down for him anytime soon. He is such a hard worker, and I immensely admire his determination so much. We have been attacking our debts with a vengeance and it is really starting to get us excited at the prospect of becoming debt-free in the next couple of years. My counseling job is getting off to a slow start as I wait for the parental consent forms to trickle in to my school mailbox. I saw my first student on Tuesday and I loved it. I was a little nervous going into it being that it was my first time. But the student was adorable. He didnt speak very good English so I had to rely on my rusty Spanish. The session looked more like an episode out of Spanglish. It was soooo fun. I am really motivated to learn Spanish this year. Matt and I both want to. Our area is 30% hispanic and we feel it is an inevitable fact of life that we must be bilingual. We have both been wanting to become fluent for some time but recently felt the necessity. We have some elderly neighbors who are Colombian who we are going to ask if we could come over once a week to converse with over a cup of coffee and practicar mi espanol. Another motivation would be the ability to talk with my grandmother and grandfather, both of whom know very little English.

Well, that is all for now. It is hard for me to post without an accompanying picture, but I have none to share. And for some reason my apostrophe key wont work--my grammar efficient mind can barely stand it. Have a great day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dearest Matt and Alina,

Wasnt that a very encouraging post!!!! I loved subbing with the 2nd graders for the last 2 days.^They are precious, arent they??? Youre right Alina, not using the ' key is very unnerving. I think this is the right "fit" (elem) for you and I'm excited!! Can't wait to see you and Matt. Take care, love to you both (and Kellar too)
So far all my granddogs have loved me. I'll be heartbroken if Kellar doesn't. Mama K

Anonymous said...

Alina I am going to sympathize with you by not putting any apotrophes So i am really glad to hear you and matt want to learn spanish fluently you will speak much easier with abuelo and abuela good luck with that
whoo that was hard
love you
jenny

abigail said...

Alina, I found your blog quite by accident and am thrilled to get back in touch with my old neighbor from Fort Tipton! Man, those were the days... So fun to read about where you guys are now. We have a blog as well, it seems like such a fun, easy way to keep up with people. Ours is at www.typoz.com/blog/bradandabi

Abi

april said...

i like you alina :)
apes

Lance and Heather said...

Hey Alina! You are a great blogger...your stories are great! Sounds like things are going well and as always your pictures are beautiful!