Thursday, October 05, 2006

In love with Autumn

I don't know about you guys but every season that hits I think, "I love this season. It is definitely my favorite." Oh but what an unfaithful person I am because that next season hits and I abondon my true love and claim my new favorite in that season. Well, once again, I have decided fall is my absolute favorite season. Here in California it is quite a bit more muted than on the east coast. Things here actually get more brown than they normally are and eventually turn green in the winter. It's backwards, and yet I am growing accomstomed to its unfamiliar beauty. The temperature has dropped some and that gorgeous golden sun is casting its rays. I also love how fall brings the anticipation of all things scheduled and busy (i.e. school, holidays, etc.).

But I am also enjoying my fall for more reasons than I just mentioned. Many of you know how difficult my job has been for me (6,000 miles put on my car in 2.5 short months, overnight watches of assaultive children, schedule changing at the drop of a hat). On top of these stresses, I just found myself feeling like I wasn't liking what I was doing. The job required me to do things that felt outside of my realm of passion, gifts, likes, training. But it was what the Lord provided for me, and I was thankful for the job and income I could provide. About 3 weeks ago, after probably the worst day yet on the job, I got a random phone call about a position I had applied for 6 months prior. It was an internship with 2 elementary schools located 1-2 miles from my doorstep providing counseling. Long story short, I am now a school counselor 25 hours a week and I still do 10 hours with my old job working with clients I already know and have a relationship with. Throughout the interview process, I couldn't believe how wonderful this position sounded to me. From my love for little children, my desire to work in a neutral environment like a school setting, my desire to do actual therapy, and the prime location, I prayed Hannah's prayer that God would give me this desire of my heart and help me if he didn't. God did give me this, and here I am getting hours for my Marriage and Family Therapy Lisence and gaining awesome experience. I am still in awe of God's blessing on my life, and I wanted to share my joy with you all. God does answer prayers, and in this case his answer was "Wait for it...wait for it...ok, here you go [a long, hard year later]." There were so many times I was angry at God for not providing me with a counseling job. I expected I would easily find a position once I had my master's degree. Well, a lot more hard work and humility was to come my way before I would land this awesome position. I am grateful for God's hand in all of this, and once again I see the beauty of trusting in Him.

Changing the subject slightly, Matt and I just spent the weekend with the youth group camping at a nearby lakesite campground. It was a nice transition point for me from the old work schedule to the new schedule. I love taking a few days to live outdoors around a campfire. It was nice and chilly throughout the weekend, making the campfire a thing of beauty. I snapped a few shots and thought I'd share the highlights with you. Hope all are well. Thanks for holding out for the update.

.

7 comments:

Alina said...

Mama K,
Matt told me yesterday the 'no pressure-I want a new post' comment. I feel loved! Thanks for reading. I had these thoughts stewing for a couple of weeks...That seems to be my habit (life happens for two weeks then it takes two weeks to process it and then I blurt it all out on my blog). I am so excited about your visit! Yeah for us!

Anonymous said...

yay Alina! I knew I checked your blog daily for a reason. :o)
Thanks for the update, and the pictures. Makes me feel not soooo spread out across the country from you! Very excited for you about the new CLOSE job! Horray!
kelly

Anonymous said...

Dearest Alina,
Yippee!!! I looked tonight and there was a new entry. Wow, you would think it was my birthday or something! I probably look everyday or two to see if a new post has been made on yours, Kelly, Ande and Megan's blog. And I feel like a little kid at Christmas when a new entry is made. The blogs help me "unwrap" the layers of what is going on in the lives of my love ones. So I am grateful and thankful to be made aware of the small and big details going on. How awesome of God to answer your prayers for a new job at His perfect timing. I had no idea that you had been called for an interview when I called that same day to ask the intercessary
prayer group to pray for a new job situation for you, but God knew. And I have to praise Him and give all the glory to Him. I'm thankful and proud of you for hanging in there. God is faithful. Can't wait to see you and Matt. Love, Mama K

Unknown said...

Sweetie, I am so happy for you with your new job! I have been keeping you in my prayers and will continue to do so. I love you much from so far away! Jamie

Anonymous said...

Yay for my sister!! I am soooo proud of you! Praise God for answering all our prayers! You rock!
Can't wait till Christmas!
Jen

andrés miguel said...

I'm really proud of you. I wish I could have gone camping with you guys.
love,
drew

M.E. said...

sure do miss you. praise the Lord for the new job!!