Tuesday, January 11, 2011

She


:: dances around the house day and night in a ballerina outfit much too tiny and revealing for her growing height. When I insist she wear pants (for warmth and decency), she insists "I like the cold." Her current nasty cough tells me otherwise.

:: carries a flashlight around the house with her all day long. Having recently discovered the joy of battery-operated beams of light, I often find her tucked away in a dark corner quietly experimenting with light and shadows.

:: dreams of her school days to come. She babbles on giddily about all the fun it will be and what she'll learn and how she'll be just like her cousin Evie. I'm a little sad and a lot excited for her to enter this new phase of life.

:: learned a lot from our recent trip to visit friends and their new twin boys. She named her own babies "Pixie" and "Magazine" and prefers to hold them both at the same time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow- it's amazing the difference between my boys and your sweet little girl. If I were to write a post like this one it would go something like this:

Title: Them

They run through the house trying to kill each other with guns, swords, baseball bats and golf clubs.

They wipe boogers on my walls, shove toothpicks in the cushions of my chairs, write graffiti on my couch and often miss the toilet when using the restroom.

They play football inside, play outside in the snow until their fingers are blue and run around making loud noises just to hear the sound of their voice.

I love my sweet, dirty little mamas' boys but sometimes it would be nice to have a clean smelling little girl quietly playing with dolls. :)

Miss you! Heather

Anonymous said...

Heather Dillard that is. :)

Megan said...

Sweet. I can't wait to meet Pixie and Magazine. Did you read the Ramona books as a kid? This post makes me think of Ramona :)

kelly said...

I have met Pixie and Magazine. It is hard not to giggle when told their names by a serious-faced 3 year-old.

Also, the flashlight: totally Big Grandma. Owen is also obsessed. The downside? I had to try 3 different flashlights in our drawer tonight before I found one with batteries that worked.

Jenny said...

Oh what fun names for her dolls! I love her imagination and wish I could hear all about them from her perspective. Miss you guys!