Saturday, December 01, 2007

On packing and friends...

What a strange mixture of joy, suspense, anxiety, and sorrow do fill these last few weeks of our California life! So much to process, so much to do and say, so little packed, and not enough time for any of it. I am moving ahead at a steady pace, made possible by the regular demands of a young baby, and yet I am watching my life here come to a close in disbelief of the reality of it all. I finished my job this week, and what a sweet departure it was. Some kids expressed sadness, one shared he was deeply sad, others showed in their eyes but not their words, and a few could probably care less. I, on the other hand, will miss the kids but am so glad to be simplifying my life. I came home from work and looked into Karis' beaming face and thought, "Yay, I can spend more time getting to know you!" I am glad to have worked, but I need the simplicity of being solely a stay at home mom for a while. The babe and I are leaving on a jet plane in 11 days exactly. I have four boxes packed. My house is empty save two wingback chairs, our dressers and beds. All other remnants of our life...gone. It has been oddly freeing to let go, and it certainly did help that we sold a lot of the furniture for quite a bit more than what we paid for it (thanks to awesome Craig's list finds over the years). The act of letting go reminds me of a book I read as a child. The main characters would make dough and then cast it off on boats, letting the dough travel around while the yeast would rise. The dough would return doubled in size, ready to be baked. It is a sacrifice to let go knowing that what God once provided will again be provided in due time. He does promise that His mercies are new every morning.

Packing has been a strange new element to fit into my day. I dread anything having to do with organization (i.e. cleaning drawers, putting away laundry, keeping my office clean). So, packing? My arch nemesis! Can't stand it. So what's a girl to do? Put on a little Ray Charles on Pandora, make myself a cappuccino, put Karis in her chair near all the activity, and have a party. Before I know it, even a non-packer like myself can find myself making some decent progress.

In other Karis' news...she has discovered her hands. What's more, she has discovered what can be discovered with those same hands. Lately, those hands have been caressing the faces of mom and dad. I watched her the other day gently run her fingers all over Daddy's bristly beard, the rough edges of his face. She sat there touching and, by the look on her face, marvelling that his face which has for months been simply an image in the distance, has texture and substance. It is truly amazing to watch another's discovery and first time exploration happening right in front of you.

Our college friend Ryan has stopped by to visit for the weekend, rounding out our weekend of back-to-back social activities. We have been to three get togethers in the last 24 hours and we are on our way to the 4th. Believe it or not, this is exactly how I wanted to spend our last couple of weeks here, with friends. We took Ryan on the usual tour of the coast (by usual, I mean we take all visitors there. The views, rather, are anything but usual!) The sun was setting as we hit Ragged Point at the base of the mountains overlooking the Pacific. He snapped the beautiful sunset shots in this post.

Off I must go to start some more packing...I mean, partying. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

***Update: After posting, I realized I forgot to share the story of a recent minor miracle. We were coming out of a building yesterday when we noticed a bird was banging against the window trying to get out. Upon further inspection Matt realizes it is a humming bird and it is banging its tiny beak over and over into the glass. In true Ace Ventura/Dr. Doolittle fashion, he stretches out his hand, captures the bird and brings it outside. As a crowd gathered around to look (complete with two German tourists filming the whole thing), the bird sat in his hand for about a minute. We think it had completely worn itself out trying to get out of the building. Matt felt the bird re-energize and a few seconds later it flew off. Introducing my husband, the bird whisperer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alina,what a record of true miracles! First, Karis finding her hands and knowing that her hands have a brain connection that can set in motion the joy of touching. I can truly say one of my sweetest joys in life was watching the world come alive thru the eyes of my children. And the miracle of the hummingbird......Reading your story brought to my mind an exact "snapshot" of how busy my life is and has been for months. The bird wearing itself out by attempting to try to escape by its own efforts was a picture of me. I had 5 or 6 different scenarios going on just this week that drained me emotionally to the point that I had really felt I was at the end of my rope. The bird resting in Matt's hand reminds me "to be still and know that I am God". If our Father can set in motion a worn out hummingbird and a caring man like Matt, to be in the right time and place, what in the heck am I worried about? "When the Son sets you free, you are free indeed!" May the Lord truly set your precious family "free" as ya'll set out on this new adventure. I am excited to see what He has in store for ya'll and where you will be this time next year. Mama K

Kristine said...

the story of this little hummingbird made my day! i am completely mesmerized by his gorgeous colors. i can almost feel his little heart thumping in matt's warm palm.

*kristine

abigail said...

Love, love that photo of the hummingbird!

Anonymous said...

Well, finally something we have in common...the deep distaste for packing! We moved 6 times between our wedding and Aiden's birth. When we bought this house, I told Wes we were not moving until the kids could pack and carry their own boxes...we'll see if that actually happens or not! You guys are in my prayers. Always. I hope Karis' Christmas gift gets there before you leave...
~Jamie

april said...

can't believe i get to see you this weekend! thanks for sharing about the journey. i have a friend making big decisions about moving right now, it's good to read your perspective on saying goodbye ...and hello

Lexy said...

Hi! Hope the packing is going well. Nate and I just spent 24 very short hours in California (Sacramento)for work, and I now know first hand why you love this other coast so much!
-Lexy