Sunday, November 18, 2007

From this coast to the other coast

If you read the side bar entitle "Why from Coast to Coast" you will read that my life has always been lived near water. Large bodies of water (whether oceans, gulfs, rivers, bayous, lakes) have always been a consistent factor in any place I live. I love the water, and my living by water reflects that love and need to be by a coast. Well, after living nearly two and a half years in the land of big skies, rolling hills, and gorgeous oak trees, we are packing our bags (and entire house) and heading back to more familiar waters. Yep, you read correctly. We are moving and, quite fittingly, to the other coast, the east coast. In fact we are planning on living on the east coast of Florida. [Insert author's deep sigh of sadness, trepidation, and excitement here].

When we moved here we excitedly packed our bags after seminary and decided that California was about as far west as we could go. We were thrilled with the prospects of adventure, the thrill of the unknown, the courage to actually do it (not just talk about it). We moved into our life filled with instant family and friends here at our local church. In those relationships we found healing from our battle wounds from prior years and relationships. We also found community and acceptance. California was the land of opportunity and we struck gold in many ways. As our time here progressed we knew that there were challenges to living here. Cost of living is incredibly high. We lived soooo far from family (all on East Coast). Travel time and costs alone were so expensive. It was easy to overlook these obstacles because we knew God called us here, and, if He wanted us here, those issues would be worked out. But when our daughter entered the picture we felt the weight of the distance. She is also a granddaughter, niece, and cousin to many people (many of whom have yet to meet her). So after much prayer and consideration, we decided to pack our bags, again. At first I struggled with the decision. Was the adventure over? Were we losing our "get up and go" spirit? Instead of looking at the move that way, Matt and I both feel we are going back to gain so much. We desire more consistent relationships with family. The thing that was hardest for me about being out here was the idea that my nieces would only know me as "that aunt that lives in California". So here we go. A song we really love is "Satellite" by Counting Crows. It is about going back home to reclaim your relationships. It isn't that we don't have relationships with family right now. Rather we are excited to deepen them. That is our new adventure!

A little experiment
To change the subject just a little bit, I started thinking about who has been following our journey the last couple of years through this blog. I hear bits and pieces from you guys who comment and then from word of mouth and emails. In celebration of our move and the two year blogiversary, I'd love to hear from you readers out there. Drop a line in the comment section and let me know what body of water you live near. I think it will be interesting for me and you all to see how many oceans, rivers, lakes, pools, and puddles are represented here.

To finish, I thought I'd leave you with some pictures of this past weekend's trip to Yosemite and the Sequoia National Forests. We did a "drive by" visit--you know, the kind where you want to see it to say you've been there but don't have the time to stop and linger more than 20 minutes! It was amazing!!! One thing I love about California and will dearly miss is how BIG everything is. The oceans, mountains, trees, hills (I call them mountains), rocks, sky. To most Americans back east we haven't seen the likes of such big and grand acts of nature. To Californians, they are an everyday fact of life. It's just pure beauty. Enjoy the pictures!


Speaking of Big trees...here is the General Sherman, largest tree in the world! It was, um...big. Matt is standing next to it to give you an idea of it's size.
View of the Sequoia National Forest


Morning fog settled on Hume Lake, Sequoia National Forest.


Karis and I standing on Glacier Point in Yosemite. Behind us is Half Dome.

Our own little natural wonder!

Morning sun shining down on Tunnel view in Yosemite.


Me being a dork and loving the vivid green moss on the forest trees.

This was the coolest moment for me in Yosemite. We witnessed the bobcat (in the middle of the picture sitting on the log) trying to attack a fawn. A bunch of adult dear charged the bobcat and kept it from getting to the fawn. Here you can see the stare down between the deer and bobcat. It is a little fuzzy but you can actually see the deer has her tongue sticking out. Interesting method of intimidation! It was such a cool experience to watch it all happening a few yards in front of us. I felt like I was in the middle of a nature show.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, alina, you are so going to keep in your heart the sweet people from church, and the magisty of such a place--time will be nostalgic when you see those pics in the future--but don't you think of leaving us again. so glad you are comin... please hurry home.
love,
mom

Joc said...

The Florida coast will be wonderful, but I must say, it's hard to beat the TN river. :) Tell Grandmother that we're very excited to have you so close again.
Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

Pretty picutres! Thanks for sharing - can't wait to see ya in a couple of weeks!
Megan
P.S. Evie can't wait to see "that aunt who lives in California"!

Anonymous said...

Well, right now I live near Lake Lanier, but in 100 days or so when Atlanta runs out of water, I guess I won't be near any body of water :).

The pictures you took are awesome! California really is beautiful.

kelly said...

The closest large body of water I live near is the St. Johns River...can't escape it...it followed me from Jacksonville. But there are also plenty of small lakes all around me. We have a "creek" (loose term) that devides our property and leads to a lake a few 100 yards behind our land.

So so glad you will be coming to us and recovering the satelites.

Lexy said...

Congrats on the big move! You will be so happy to be near family again, it is such a blessing!!! I hope I will actually get to see you again when you get here!

As for water, we live very near Lake Apopka. Having lived on the gulf I am always puzzled by how so much water can be land locked!

Good luck and let us know if you need anything!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Alina-
like Joy Lynne, we live near water...for now. That may change from a lake to a river sooner rather than later....God is getting lots of prayers for rain from us right now... Can't wait to hear all your moving news!!!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Alina--I will be happy to respond to your "water" experiment. As you know,we live on the South Lake Asbury Lake....big enough to swim, ski and fish in. I am amazed at how different it looks each a.m. Some days (like today), it looks smooth as glass and almost like a large mirror. At other times, it looks like "diamonds dancing" when it's choppy.Then at times, the mist is rising and it looks mysterious. I love living on the water, even though we have never been able to afford jet skis, or a large boat (only a fishing boat, canoe, or 1965 boat that kept sinking). I can't wait for ya'll to enjoy it. When we moved here, I wanted the excellent schools, Bruce wanted water,so we compromised. He grew up summers at his grandmothers lake place and he loved it. Then, when we went to the Sea of Galilee,
I understood the connection that my husband had with Jesus. Jesus loved that body of water. He was a "lake" man like Bruce. My cousin told me last month, that once you live on water, it's hard to NOT live on water. I completely understand that. It's peaceful and calm. Do I realize how blessed we are, you betcha'. And I don't take it for granted. This area is a gift and blessing from God. His mercies are tender and new each morning. I loved your pictures from your adventure. I clicked on the bobcat pic to enlarge it and it was awesome to see that deer sticking out it's tongue. I also clicked on the pic of Karis in her bear hat....Oh my goodness, pure angelic features. Happy Thanksgiving, dear loved ones....I am remembering green bean casserole from last year. You are loved. Mama K--p.s.
please show Matt my "book" of an answer.

Brooke said...

You know where I live! I will miss you so much, and remember you are always welcome here!!!!

Jenny said...

Alina- wow! big news, but I can imagine your excitement to be closer to family. Good for you. I also wanted to tell you that I tagged you on our blog, so if you read it any time soon, you'll know what I mean. Looking forward to learning more about you!

dkt said...

That's big news...and exciting too! May the Lord bless you as you serve him. Does Matt have a job yet?

We live near the Columbia River Gorge. A beautiful place to drive through with Multnomah Falls and many other water falls besides.

Come and visit sometime! :-)

Brian & Mary Hand said...

I love the pictures! Wow! And, I can't believe you're moving to the east coast! I totally understand the pull to be near family!

By the way: I "tagged you" . . . to tell 8 random things about you. How annoying am I?!!! Ha, ha. Check out my blog.

no longer working said...

Hey friend. I still live by the Mississippi. I am so happy for your move. What will you all be doing there and where will you live? Much love,
corrin

Unknown said...

I am so happy for you guys! Especially Karis! I cannot tell you how wonderful and what a blessing it is to live close to the grandparents. My kids see their grandparents every week and it has blessed everyone. I will keep it all in my prayers. I promise!

As for the water answer: I grew up on the Gulf Coast, as you know, but have no desire whatsoever to live on water. I LOVE MY MOUNTAINS! We have a stream on our property. We live 10 minutes from Kerr Scott Lake, but I've never swam in it or boated on it or anything. My mom is 25 minutes from me (one mile technically) and she lives on Elk Creek, which is 65' broad and has a large fish-filled, frog-ridden pond on her 20 acres. Boone also is a location for the New River, which Jason lives directly on.

Maybe now that you are not thousands of miles away we might be able to see each other one day. Maybe you could stop through Boone, NC, on a drive up to Pete's...= ) I'll bring you by the lake if you need some water revival!

Keep us posted on the move so we can all pray specifically. All my love, my dear friend! Happiest Day of Thanks to you all!

Kristine said...

alina,

my daydreams and secret prayers will be with you + matt as you introduce baby karis to her eastern roots.

as you know, i'm up here in the magical universe of brooklyn where the hudson river and east river form a mouth and spill their hearts into the new york bay.

my heart is warmed thinking of you.

love always,
*kristine

Michelle Acton said...

AMAZING PICTURE! Can't beleive you were there for that!